Can you really be “in love” with an ice cream company? I think I am. Not only the ice cream but the company as well. After hearing the reasons their employees, Jay and Scott ( our friendly servers at the Ben and Jerry’s food truck during the Frendly Gathering) had to say about Ben and Jerry’s, I thought I needed to do a little more research instead just gushing about “Chunky Monkey and “New York Super Fudge Chunk.” Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream became a leader in business social and environmental responsibility pushing the buttons of politicans and larger companies to do the right thing while becoming an extremely profitable company.
Photo Op at the Frendly Gathering
1. First scoop shop was in a renovated gas station, Burlington Vt and showed summer movies. First delivery truck was a VW wagon.
2. Built the largest ice cream sundae weighing 27,102 lbs
3. Protested the Seabrook NH nuclear plant with the slogan “Keep our customers alive and licking”
4.Sent the “cowmobile” to Wall Street after the 1987 crash to serve free scoops of “That’s Life and Economic Crunch” ice cream
5. Came out against bovine growth hormone and the impact on family run dairies and paid a premium for milk during volatile pricing times
6. Give away free ice cream at music festivals and events. Also have a free cone day at all their stores.
7. Made “Fossil Fuel” ice cream to protest oil drilling in the Artic Wildlife Refuge and served it up on the US Capitol Lawn
8. We able to sell to mega giant Unilever while maintaining quality control and their own board of directors.
9. Committed to fair trade, sustainable packaging, buy local milk and corporate social responsibility
And why do Jay and Scott love working for Ben and Jerrys? ” Continuing respect for social equity and the environment while putting smiles on people’s faces!” Thanks Jay and Scott!